Skyward Student Attendance
Skyward Family Access allows families to add absence requests or to indicate a day or range of days a student will not be in school. This feature allows families to add an absence request without being required to call the school!
FTCSC will begin the transition to online-only absence requests in August of 2022. During the first semester of the 2022-2023 school year, school offices will accept EITHER a phone call or an online absence request when a student misses school. Beginning in January of 2023, school offices will ONLY accept online absence requests when a student misses school. The front office receptionist will still be available for any emergency needs; however, absence requests will only be accepted via Skyward Family Access.
**A video description of how to enter absences in Skyward Family Access can be found HERE. Written directions are provided below.
- Sign in to Skyward Family Access. Forgot your password? Click HERE.
- Select the Attendance tile.
- Select the Absence Requests tab near the top left of the screen.
- Under the Year to Date Absence Requests heading, click Add Absence Request near the right of the screen.
- Complete the appropriate fields.
- Verify the Start Date or enter the correct date if necessary.
- Verify the End Date or enter the correct date if necessary.
- Uncheck the box for All Day if appropriate (if you uncheck this box, you will need to enter start and end times. The front office WILL NOT call your student down until you present a valid ID. Start and end times only indicate when you anticipate your child will be out of school, not when you want them in the front office ready for pickup)
- Enter an Attendance Reason.
- Enter a Comment to further describe the reason for the absence.
- Check the Copy Absence Request box for each child who should also have the absence request added.
- Click Save near the top left of the screen to save your work.
ATTENDANCE LINE: 803-8290
When a student is going to be absent from school for any reason, the parent must call the attendance line (803-8290) and report it by 9:00 a.m. Upon returning to school following an absence or absences, the student shall bring a written statement. The note must contain dates of absences and reason as well as parent/guardian signature. These statements determine if the absence is excusable. Failure to report (verbal or written) a student absent within 24 hours will result in the absence being unexcused. Students will be considered unexcused for all absences other than those stipulated by administrative guidelines, state, or federal statutes.
Absences that are legally excusable are:
- Personal illness
- Death in immediate family
- Family emergency
- Page for state legislature
- Court appearance and/or court detention
- Doctor or dentist appointment
- Work at polls on Election Day
Student Make-Up Work
The school allows students to make up work and the student/parent is responsible for arranging for any permissible makeup work. Makeup requests are due by 9:00 a.m. Make up requests for students with excessive unexcused absences may be denied, requiring students to obtain assignment information from classmates or other methods. The number of days a student has to makeup work due to excused absences is equal to the number of days absent plus one day (including weekends and holidays). Classroom teachers may extend this time at their discretion on a case by case basis. Makeup work due to unexcused absences is due within 24 hours of returning to school. School administration may extend this time on a case by case basis. Students returning from discipline based absences (e.g., Out-of-School Suspension) must submit work on the first day of return to school.